Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oh what a love-a-lee GARRRDEN!

In March Ronald broke up the ground and tilled a big, beautiful plot of soil for the garden. I went to The Mill and bought "The Farmer's Almanac" and some peas (they were WAY cheap there) and went to work. Since then, I have planted lots of early crops, and pulled lots of weeds. It's so exciting when you plant your seeds to see them come up out of the ground. If only they grew as fast as those dag-gone weeds. Yesterday I went out and weeded around everything but the lettuce, beets, potatoes, and corn, and today when I checked out the garden, there were those weeds again. At least it keeps me busy.

My first tray of seedlings (minus the broccoli....they are in the garden already). These are mostly herbs....basil, cilantro, oregano, lavender, and eggplant on the end.
That is zucchini coming up....isn't it beautiful!? I colored toothpicks so that I would know what is what. Still waiting for the melons, peppers, and eggplants to come up.
Cucumber and tomato seedlings (and an eager Isabella, too). Isabella loves that we are growing vegetables. When I go out to work in the garden, she always wants to help. She insists on having her "alligator" (cultivator) and says she's gonna get those weeds. We have such a good time together.
Cucumbers
Guess what I found in the garden today.....the CORN!!!!
One of the strawberry plants I rescued. When I was pulling the dry, dead leftover weeds before we could till, I found 4 surviving strawberry plants. I dug them up and transplanted them into pots. Yesterday I built a raised bed, hulled 10 loads of beautiful dirt from the compost pile (BOY WAS IT HEAVY!) and put the plants in the nice soil. This plant is already making 2 runners. This summer I'm going to pinch all of the blossoms off so I will get lots of runners, then next summer we should have a lot of new plants. Can you believe I've already pinched off about 7 little blossoms? It was kind of sad, but it's for a good cause.
Two beautiful rows of peas. I love love LOVE have fresh peas. They are sooooo delicious! You can see the raised bed of strawberries on the left.
Pototoes....I need to hill them up soon.
Beets!!!! They are so stinkin' hard to find, they really blend in with those weeds.
One of the broccoli plants that I started from seed and transplanted into the garden. I think that Peter Rabbit must have found our garden, because a few of the plants are missing. But he hasn't been back since, thank goodness.
Beautiful lechuga!!!! (Lettuce)
Spinach
I love radishes! They are so easy to grow, and the grow fast (in about 40 days)! If you look closely, you can see the red of the actual radish on the plant on the far left.
All of the beautiful onions. I hope they will dry well this summer.

4 comments:

Megan and Jonny said...

So remind me to invite myself over when your garden is ripe (specifically the peas, tomatoes, and corn). You're amazing--here I was being so proud about my pot of chives and tomato plant, and you're whipping out an entire farm!

Monson Family said...

I had no idea you had such a passion for gardening! And you have such a great big garden to be proud of! Keep up the good work!!!

Gracie said...

WOW!!!!!! WE HAVE CORN NOW!?!?!?!?
YAY!!!!!!!! I AM SOOOO EXCITED!!!

Sommer said...

you are simply and positively amazing!