Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I don't know what to do

I think someone might have stolen my identity. I have been getting a couple of really weird emails recently. One from Chase Bank saying "thank you for opening an account", one from a Barbie website saying that my daughter wants to be on the sight, and I needed to give permission, and one today from neopets, with a receipt for $5. What should I do? I am scared!


HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Sommer said...

oh my word Caitlin, no way!!! That is so so so scary! I wish I was there to give you a big hug! I'll ask Ben and see what he says or have him call you.

Likely said...

SOOO scary!

I would call chase bank. And I would have someone look up your credit report to see if someone has been opening things. gosh! how did they get your email?

this stuff is scary. something happened to us if you want to know about it.

Jessica L said...

Definitely check your credit report because of the Chase thing. But I wouldn't freak out too much. All it takes is one site to sell out your e-mail to a bunch of other sites. I've gotten tons of stuff. It seems that I have a million dollars in Nigerian money waiting for me. All I have to do is send them my name, address, bank account number and social security number and it's all mine. ;) Just keep your personal info very private and keep an eye on your credit report. Hang in there.

geri said...

I agree with Jess, fingers crossed it's not a biggie. I get junk from amazon, ebay, etc. that say things about "my accounts" they're just scammers, phishing for goodies. Definitely check the credit report.

PS- Jess, are you telling me that I DON"T have a rich, African uncle willing to send me millions? D'oh, wish I'd known that before I sent my SSN!

Ben said...

There's more that can be done. You can put an initial fraud alert on each of the credit agencies, (Transunion, Experian, and the other one) this will tell creditors to call you prior to approving credit and is one more thing you can do to protect yourself. You are also entitled to a credit report (not a score) from each bureau directly once a year. It's a good idea to see where they think you've opened accounts and get it sorted out as things happen rather than having some catastrophic event you have to incur legal fees for later. I usually keep a reminder in my calendar to make sure I tack on the initial fraud alert every 90 days and check a different bureau every 4 months to make sure no one is opening accounts in my name. HTH!

Monson Family said...

Caitlin, how do you get your blog list to show the updated blogs?

Katie said...

oh no! Scary! My brother had his stolen before. I don't know what you should do, but it looks like you are getting some good advice.