I am home. They discharged me on Tuesday. It was bittersweet. I was so very excited to see my children and to be home (I had been in the hospital for 9 days), but I was very very sad to leave behind my little Felix. Yesterday I rested all day long. My body needed it. When I was awake (to pump), I would cry. I wanted to be nursing my baby, not pumping. I want to wake to a crying baby, not an alarm. But seeing that he's only 27 weeks (gestationally), he won't be ready to nurse for at least 5-8 weeks. I'm hoping for the 5, and not the 8, but I'll take what I can get. I am recovering well, considering what happened. My whole body aches, and the pains I feel are weird. I having c-section pains, plus other weird pains. Today I did a lot of walking around. Well, maybe not a lot, but for me it was. I ate dinner at the table with my children this evening (Ronald was at school). I told Isabella I'd be eating in the kitchen and she said "I'm so excited!" It's good to be home.
Today Felix is one week old. He is doing very well. He's on 2.5 liters of oxygen, and they started feeds (2cc's over 3 hours). So far he's tolerating it. Tomorrow my Mom is taking me to see my baby Felix. I get to hold him! (As long as he's still doing well.) This is the first time I will be allowed to hold him...I'm sure I will cry, tears of sadness and of joy.
A week ago today, I gave my life to give my son life. I lost all of my blood, and the ability to clot blood. It took 10 liters of fluid to get me back to being alive. It took a team of AMAZING doctors to help me. Those doctors will be getting letters and invitations for years to come. I am greatful to them. A week ago today Heavenly Father so graciously gave me back my life. I am eternally greatful that I get to continue to live on this beautiful earth and be with my husband and my children. Heavenly Father has plans for me, and I want to fulfill them. I see everything in a new life now. How blessed I am.
Here are a few pictures from the last week. And again, thank you EVERYONE for your faith, and prayers and thoughts. You really don't know how much it means to me and my family. Your prayers helped pull me through, I'm sure of it. I love you all, even if I don't know you.
Felix the day he was born.

This is me in the SICU. I was VERY swollen because of all the fluids. Ronald didn't want to take this picture, but it was important to me. He was very patient with me and kind, especially since I couldn't talk. I love this man. I'm greatful that we can continue our earthly journey together.

Ronald's hand and Felix's foot. His feet are so long, but so tiny.

My first time really seeing my son. I cried and cried. I got to see him before I was let back to my room. This was Friday afternoon.


So very greatful to have this man in my life. I love you baby.

Seeing Isabella for the first time after a torturous week. I cried hard. She said "Mami, why are you sad?" How do you explain that to a 3 year old. We hugged for a long time.

My favorite picture.

Saying goodbye to Felix. One of the hardest things I've done. It's also the first time I saw his cute little nose and his head of hair.

My sweet angel baby. I love you, son.
7 comments:
We are so glad that you are home and we are praying your little Felix will continue to improve and be home with you soon as well.
Oh, Caitlin, this made me cry. I'm so glad you're home, but it breaks my heart to know that you didn't get to bring your little one with you.
We've been thinking about you and praying for you. You definitely just went through a miracle. Please, please, please let me know how we can help.
Amazing Caitlin...I am so glad you are on your way to recovering. The pictures are so touching and definitely brought tears to my eyes. Felix is so precious. Keep us updated.
Caitlin,
I am so glad you are doing better! I pray for you to continue to recover and for baby Felix's health so that he can come home to you guys. This post made me cry, your pictures are beautiful and so sentimental. Take care.
Melissa
I am so glad that your are feeling better and can be home with Isabella and Alexander. I can not imagain how hard it much have been to leave Felix at the Hospital. He looks amazing! He is so beautiful!!! What a little miracle. I am so excited that you will get to hold him today!!!
I know that not being able to nurse him is really hard. Lily had some complications and I couldn't nurse her, I had to pump and it was so exhusting!!! But once he is ready you will feel so relieved to have kept up with the pumping. I think that our bodies are so amazing in how they are made to take care of our babies. Once I started nursing my supply shot right up and I was able to nurse for a year. I know it is really hard right now, but it will be worth it when you finally get to nurse him. And he is still getting the best milk ever (YOURS!)
Still thinking of you and praying for your family : )
Katie
Caitlin you are an amazing and strong woman. As I sit hear reading tears are rolling down my face thinking about you and your little felix and all of the emotions that you have been feeling. I am so happy that Felix continues to get stronger and you are starting to feel a little more like yourself again. I will continue to pray for you both and your family, and I can't wait to see your little angel. How fortunate we are to have a great hospital so close that we can trust with such fragile lives. I have been grateful for that many times. Keep us updated! I love you
ok, I'm crying. I love you guys! Caitlin you are such an amazing woman!!!
Post a Comment