Monday, February 22, 2010

Baby steps

Little Felix keeps doing worse every day. Yesterday morning they put him on the ventilator. He's received two blood transfusions, because his red cell count is low, but it's not making much of a difference. He might be bleeding in his brain. They will scan his head tomorrow to see if he is or not. He has some kind of bacterial infection, but they aren't sure what it is. They removed his PIC line (the second time) just incase the infection in from that. He has a lot of fluid in his lungs, so he's on medication to make him pee more. They are giving him extra breaths through the ventilator because he's not doing it on his own. Good news, his PDA was small today when they did the echocardiogram, so hopefully it will close up all the way and his heart will be better. I am getting further and further away from being able to hold my baby. Yesterday, Ronald and I went down to see Felix together. It was nice to be with Ronald and to see Felix together as husband and wife, and as his parents. While we were there, three of the babies mothers came in. They got to hold their babies. Two more babies were being held by their nurses while they got their bottles. I put on my happy face. I was not happy. Honestly, I was jealous. I felt bad (and still do) for feeling that way. I wanted to go up to them and tell them how lucky they are that they can hold their babies. I wanted to beg my nurse to let me hold my son, but I didn't because I knew she would say no. Yesterday was difficult for me in that sense. I feel like I am never going to be able to hold him. I'm trying to be patient, but I CAN'T! I WANT MY BABY! I'm tired of crying because I can't hold him. I need him to help me heal.

I do not like the way I look right now, which is SOOOO not me. I am always (seriously) pretty pleased with how I look. I know this sounds rediculous, but I want to have a great big belly. I want to look like I just had a baby, and I don't. I fit into my regular clothes, and I HATE THAT! It upsets me to the point of many many tears. When I saw one of my life-saving doctors on Friday, I told her how upset I was that I fit into my clothes. She cried with me and sincerely said she was sorry I fit into them too. I need others to cry with me over this! PLEASE. I don't want to be thin again, I want to have a nice big round belly. Sometimes I forget that I had Felix. I think I'm still pregnant, but then I remember, and I cry.

I'm sorry to complain so much, but I am just so sad. I need to record my feelings. I need my baby, and I need to be fat. That's all I want.

My Felix.
So many tubes, I wish he didn't need them.
The closest I get to holding my son.
The "unhappy that I fit in my clothes" pictures. Part 1
Part 2
When I was in the hospital, before Felix was born, Ronald took pictures of the kids for me. The last picture of the two of them is from when I was in the hospital. The individual pictures of them was yesterday after nap time. Their eyes have changed so much since I've been home. They don't look sad anymore. I'm greatful for that.
My happy boy!
My beautiful girl!
This picture broke my heart in the hospital. Oh I love these kids. I'm sorry that they had to miss their mami, but I'm glad I'm still here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Caitlin, I am so sorry for what you are going through. I am sorry you haven't been able to hold Felix, and it is not wrong to be sad that other moms can. I pray Felix gets better soon and that you can finally hold him in your arms. Bless you Caitlin, you are so strong. Don't forget that.

Likely said...

I AM crying right now. crying........ oh sweetie. you would never think a woman would wish to be fat but it makes so much sense. Those pictures of you made me so so sad. Caitlin, I love you so much. I love the perspective you are giving me. It's so hard to comprehend the feelings and emotions that someone would be going through during something like this and I am glad you are being so honest. It is a gift to be able to be open like you are. So many people would bottle it up and keep it all for themselves to fester inside. Thank you for opening up and letting us into your hurt. We are hurting with and hopefully we can heal with you too.

I am soooo excited to see you tomorrow!!!

Dawn said...

Caitlin,
I have so many tender feelings for you and your family right now. It hurts to know you guys are going through this and went through what you did, and have such a long road ahead. I do hope you get at least one good piece of news every day.

I think I can relate to your wanting to be big and pregnant. Your pregnancy was cut so short. I still miss being pregnant and grieve about it weekly even though I had a normal pregnancy\birthing experience with Tristan.

Katie said...

Caitlin I would never ever tell a women this who just had a baby but I think you still have the extra baby bump still there. Remember how skinny you were... I think that you have a very beautiful I just had a baby look! And remember with both of your other babies how quickly you fit back into your regular jeans...it was a few short weeks with them too!
It is really sad that you time was cut short, but I know that Heavenly father has a plan, and he needed you to be safe, healthy and strong so that you could be the amazing mommy that you are.
I am so sorry you couldn't hold Felix yet. I cry when I think about how it must feel to be in your shoes.
I am with Tiffany with it being so amazin gthat you can open up with you feelings. I am not very good at that. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us. I know that your words give me strength and I hope that we are giving you some strenght to help you through these hard times!
Love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby.

Jess and Jason said...

I am crying for you. I wish I knew how to help you feel better, but only Heavenly Father can do that. So I will pray for you and for your beautiful little Felix. I will love you. I think you are beautiful!

Trisha said...

I have never met you...I am a friend of Tiffany's. I just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers right now.

leslie said...

beautiful, strong, faithful, example, thoughtful, truthful, blessed, mother, wife, woman. You are incredible Caitlin.

Sommer said...

Oh Caitlin I am crying with you. It is not silly for you to be feeling those feelings. You have every right and it is completely understandable. You and your beautiful family are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. I love you!

Virginia said...

Found your blog from Likely Story. You have such a beautiful family. You're all in my heart and prayers.